Resume: My Professional Background
When I look back at my career, I can’t say I haven’t led a full and interesting professional life. I received a good education and have always been committed to a strong work ethic. I worked my way up from Software Engineer to Corporate Technology Executive. Have a look below to see my accomplishments.
Phoenix, Arizona & Los Angeles, California
Chief Information Officer (CIO)
International Sports Sciences Association (ISSA)
An experienced, results-driven technology executive specializing in innovation, strategy, growth, M&A, operational leadership, and digital transformation. Demonstrated successes in forging client relationships, developing comprehensive product and technology strategies, building high performing agile teams, and delivering scalable, enterprise cloud services. I also have an extensive direct and digital marketing background as well as automotive, travel, financial and educational vertical experience.
- Technology vision & strategy
- Driving operational excellence
- Consistently delivering results
- Developing high-performance teams
- Recruiting & retaining world-class talent
- Fostering a diverse & collaborative culture
- Establishing client relationships
- Mergers & Acquisitions
- Extensive experience in strategy, architecture, implementation, integration, development, and administration of enterprise-class systems including database marketing, CRM, web services, web applications, high availability data warehouse & BI systems.
- Over 15 years of IT management, technical project management, and business analysis experience.
- Experience in directing and managing large teams of developers, analysts, and production support staff.
- Experience as a senior software engineer on the development of several high-volume, high availability web & database applications using various design methodologies
- Certification in Process Engineering and Re-engineering with Lean and the Six Sigma Methodology.
- Experience in multiple industry verticals such as automotive, financial, marketing, manufacturing, retail, travel & services.
- International integration experience with projects in the UK & Switzerland.
CIO @ International Sports Sciences Association
International Sports Sciences Association (ISSA)
Phoenix, Arizona & Carpinteria, California | 2019/11 – Present
- Key member of the Executive Team achieving record revenue with >50% growth in a single year and leading the company through a successful sale transaction to Tailwind Capital for 14x multiple of EBIDTA.
- Led the platform stabilization effort and data services migration to Microsoft Azure with Azure SQL which reduced overall downtime to achieve 99.99% total system uptime.
- Developed and began execution on a 3-year technology roadmap for legacy platform modernization with a buy vs minimal build approach which included new CRM, CCaaS platform with predictive dialer, eCommerce platform, and eLearning platform
- Developed and began execution on an API-first driven eCommerce platform modernization strategy to move from ColdFusion to a modern headless eCommerce system using CommerceTools and a JAMStack architecture with Next.js as the front end and Contentful as the CMS.
- Developed a technology growth strategy to expand our teams and capabilities to deliver against critical business initiatives.
- Implemented a DevOps culture and migrated the AppDev and DBDev teams to an Agile Scrum SDLC methodology
- M&A including the acquisition and integration of a competing eLearning platform.
Chief Technology Officer (CTO) @ Digital Air Strike
Digital Air Strike
Scottsdale, Arizona | 2017/07 – 2019/11
- Key member of the Executive Team responsible for achieving record revenue with 40% growth in a single year, winning multiple industry awards including an award for Innovation by BestCompaniesAZ.
- Responsible for all enterprise technology systems, platforms, applications and people including multiple geographically distributed teams with 50+ engineers and supporting roles spanning all functions including Software Engineering, IT, Data Services, QA, CloudOps & Salesforce CRM
- Expanded development capacity by integrating nearshore & offshore teams in Mexico, Belarus and the Ukraine
- Lead the development of an ML & AI-driven Consumer Experience (CX) platform with Natural Language Processing (NLP)
- Lead the re-platforming of our legacy platform to a new DDD, CQRS, event-sourced, cloud SaaS platform of containerized microservices using ReactJS, Redux, EventStore, MongoDB, RabbitMQ, ElasticSearch, Docker, GraphQL hosted GKE on Google Cloud and Azure Data Warehouse.
- Reduced 150k in Cloud vendor cost by vendor negotiation, modernization & service consolidation in year
- Established a dedicated Data Services team and led the creation of an Enterprise Data Warehouse using Azure Data Warehouse layered with PowerBI for reporting
- M&A including the execution of 3 acquisitions with the integration of acquired assets, team members, billing & CRM systems and cloud platforms involving a major migration from Microsoft Dynamics to Salesforce CRM
- Work as a strategic partner with the CPO to create and maintain a multi-year roadmap including new product vision, technical strategy, financial plans, and stepped resourcing roadmaps
Chief Technology Officer (CTO) @ Rouse Services
Beverly Hills, California | 2014/05 – 2017/07
- Responsible for the end-to-end architecture, design, delivery & support of all platforms & infrastructure.
- Developed business case, secured funding, selected vendors and led a cloud migration from company-owned hardware in a legacy self-managed physical data center to a hybrid cloud environment of virtualized, redundant, elastic computing instances & docker containers located at Rackspace, Amazon Web Services (AWS) & Microsoft Azure.
- Implemented JIRA for Agile application lifecycle management (ALM), Confluence for documentation repository & requirements management, Bitbucket for GIT-based code repository and Bamboo / Team City for continuous integration (CI), and Octopus Deploy for deployment and delivery.
- Recruited, reorganized and scaled the IT division into a group of high-performing, world-class technology experts including software architects, database engineers, software engineers and supporting staff.
- Support additional professional services revenue and increase operational efficiency metrics by upgrading IT tools, stabilizing key systems, enhancing client confidence, reliability & performance.
- Collaborate, develop & execute IT strategy while driving process enhancements, controls, and innovation.
- Own delivery, technology standards, partnerships, vendor management, offshore management, risk assessment, IT project management, IT product management, technology support, IT planning and budgeting.
- Manage multiple full-stack Agile software development teams focused on the creation, delivery & management of high volume SaaS data services, microservices, web and mobile applications using the latest tools and technologies such as Microsoft SQL Server 2016, ASP.NET MVC 5, WebAPI 2, PhoneGap, Tableau, HTML5, JQuery, Knockout, Bootstrap, CSS3, AngularJS, Angular2, Node.js, RavenDB.
- Oversee and manage Rouse’s systems & network infrastructure, network services, VOIP services, systems integration and desktop technologies.
Chief Technology Officer (CTO) @ SourceLink
Itasca, Illinois | 2013/10 – 2014/05
Los Angeles, California | 2009/02 – 2013/10
- Key member of the senior management team with direct responsibility for operational management & P/L contribution
- Provide strategic leadership on product development, cost/benefit analysis, roadmaps, master data architecture & technology development that aligns with business strategy
- Led the architecture, complete lifecycle development & ongoing operational support of multiple, client facing, distributed 20+ terabyte SQL Server data warehouse & web based systems used for CRM & Database Marketing.
- Led implementation of SDL/Alterian & IBM Unica Campaign
- Led migration of BI reporting & analytics tools to a hybrid IBM Cognos & Microsoft BI solution
- Led systems migration to a cloud-based, virtualized SQL environment to reduce system TCO
- Led Cisco Tidal Enterprise scheduling tool implementation for consolidated SQL job management
- Led SAP Data Services implementation for streamlined Data Integration & Data Quality services
- Build, develop & manage high performing technology teams, oversee R&D, project management & delivery
- Manage technology infrastructure, hardware selections, network resources & services staff
- Manage activities of vendors, consultants & outsourced projects
- Ensure proper interpretation of business requirements into functional & technical specifications, maintain business process understanding & develop sustainable technical solutions
- Participate in pre-sales consulting engagements, new product & solutions development
- Provide strategic guidance, develop standards & architect complex, scalable, fault-tolerant, high volume, high performance databases & ETL processes in clustered & redundant environments according to industry best practices
- Establish relationships with key customers, peers & industry thought-leaders through strategic meetings, conferences, professional activity & roadmap meetings
- Proactively evaluate new & emerging technologies that add value to the company by optimizing cost, performance & scalability
Chief Data Architect @ Move Marketing
Phoenix, Arizona | 2007/01 – 2009/01
- Implement & manage multi-server, hosted SQL Server & Cognos 8.3 BI environment for SEO & PPC online marketing
- Develop ETL processes using SSIS for Google, Yahoo, MSN & Miva cost file extracts and Commission Junction (CJ), LinkShare, Partner Fusion, Performics & MGM product & revenue file extracts
- Architect & manage a database solution to handle a multi-tier, multi-server, multi-organization web application including and supporting the ETL and daily load of over 10 million consumer products
- Architect & manage a rules-based solution for the automated management, processing & submission of over 10k SEO & PPC Keywords per day for online marketing through affiliate marketing programs.
- Construct complex Cognos 8 & data models, frameworks & procedures
- Database design, implementation, maintenance, indexing strategy, daily processing jobs, performance tuning & optimization, as well as SQL query development & optimization
- Cognos 8 & SSRS report development and deployment
Vice President, Business Intelligence @ Bank of America
Bank of America
Phoenix, Arizona | 2003/05 – 2007/07
- Implementation of data warehousing systems to handle high volume daily transactional data
- Led the rollout and implementation of Cognos 8 to over 25,000 users for enterprise reporting
- Led in the configuration, support & maintenance of Cognos 7.3, Cognos 8 and other custom BI applications
- Led in the data modeling, design and performance tuning of reports, dashboards and OLAP cubes in Cognos 8
- Manage the Business Intelligence Team, provide training and technical assistance to junior associates, make decisions on personnel actions including staffing, performance management, and compensation
Additional Roles & Consulting Engagements
- Various technology consulting roles for some of the world’s largest companies such as SAP, American Express, and Razorfish.
- Various Technology & CIO project consulting roles for SourceLink, Ciber, Maxim Group, TMP Worldwide
- Startup Experience as a co-founder at JMRA Technologies, Red-Fork Hospitality Solutions, Aventera, 310WEST & DIR Media
- Adjunct CIS Faculty for the DeVry University Evening & Weekend Program
- Implementation Engineer for Micros Systems
AZ SIM, AZ SIM CIO Roundtable, AZ SIM CIO Mentor, AZ Tech Council, HMG Strategy PHX CIO Executive Leadership Advisory Board
- Nominated for 2020 Arizona CIO of the Year Orbie Award
- Finalist for 2019 Phoenix Business Journal CIO of the Year Award
- 2018 Spotlight Award for Innovation by Arizona’s Most Admired Companies while CTO at Digital Air Strike
If you have any questions please feel free to contact me directly via any method on my contact page.
* Please note I am currently not seeking employment.
* I am open to speaking with individuals and companies regarding potential consulting and/or speaking engagements.